After suffering a work-related illness or injury, you need to make sure you are compensated for your losses. Well, thanks to the best Clearwater, FL workers’ compensation lawyers at the Florida Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Coalition, you will get the help you need to file your claim. Working with your employer and their insurance company on your own might not be a good idea. That’s why you should hire us for our expertise and professionalism so you can get your deserved workers’ compensation benefits in Clearwater. We are ready to help so call us today.
Table of Contents
Understanding Workers’ Compensation Benefits In Clearwater, FL
If you have been injured when doing your job in Clearwater, FL, you can receive the following types of benefits.
- Medical Benefits
- Lost wages and other monetary compensation
- Death benefits
Here’s what you need to know about each of these types of compensation and the maximum amount you can receive.
After your workplace injury, your employer is entitled to provide you with medical treatment through an insurance company. Some of the medical benefits you can enjoy include the following.
- Access to an authorized primary doctor or specialist whenever possible.
- Access to medical care and treatment such as doctor’s visits, physical therapy, hospitalization, medical tests, prostheses, prescription drugs, and attendant care.
- Reimbursement for mileage when traveling to and from your doctor’s appointments or the pharmacy.
If you want to qualify for these medical benefits, you should report your illness as fast as possible to your employer. They should authorize a doctor immediately and your employer’s insurance company will authorize follow-up treatment. If you must receive emergency treatment, you should inform someone in the emergency room that it is a work-related injury. Don’t forget to provide them with your employer’s details. Don’t visit your own doctor for treatment and should only visit the authorized doctor. Don’t skip appointments since your medical benefits will stop.
Lost Wages And Other Monetary Compensation
You’re entitled to receive compensation for your lost wages as summarized below.
Do you have a loved one who has passed away due to a work-related injury? Well, you are entitled to death benefits as the next of kin. To qualify for death benefits, the death should have occurred within one year from the date of the accident or after your loved one suffered 5 years of continuous disability. Death benefits will be issued up to a maximum of $150,000. Next of kin will receive funeral expenses of up to $7,500 and other compensation benefits according to Florida State Law.
4 Categories of Workers’ Compensation In Florida
Florida breaks workers’ compensation into 4 tiers. Those tiers are:
Temporary Total Disability (TTD)
If your doctor says that you can’t go back to work because of your injuries or illnesses, you should receive compensation of two-thirds of your weekly wages before the injuries. TTD benefits will not be disbursed for the first 7 days unless you have not been to work for 21 days due to a work-related injury. You can also receive 80% of your regular wages depending on the type of injury suffered but up to a maximum of 6 months. TTD benefits in Clearwater, FL are issued up to a maximum of 104 weeks.
Temporary Partial Disability (TPD)
If your doctor says you can go back to work but with some restrictions, you are eligible for TPD benefits. In most cases, you will be unable to perform in your previous position and often accept a lesser wage. TPD benefits allow you to receive up to 80% of the wages you received before the accident. TPD benefits in Florida are only paid up to 104 weeks.
Permanent Partial Disability
If your doctor says you have reached maximum medical improvement, then you can receive PPD benefits. Here, your condition will not improve even with further treatment but you will continue receiving treatment to make you comfortable. Your doctor will recommend permanent work restrictions and give you an impairment rating. Your PPD benefits will be issued depending on your impairment rating and follow the TTD rules for disbursement.
Permanent Total Disability
If you have reached maximum medical improvement but have severe injuries such that you can’t work again, you will receive permanent total disability benefits. These benefits will be issued for the rest of your life and will be disbursed according to the TTD rate.
Note that, workers’ compensation benefits are not taxed. However, if you want to make sure that they are calculated correctly, you need to work with a workers’ compensation attorney. We have worked on many workers’ compensation cases and we will negotiate with the insurance company and your employer to make sure that you receive whatever you are owed.
Why Should You Hire Us For Your Workers’ Compensation Case?
Yes, it’s a good idea to hire a workers’ compensation attorney for your compensation claim. If you want the best representation for your case, you should call Florida Workers’ Compensation Lawyers Coalition immediately. We can help you with the following.
- We will collect all the relevant evidence pertaining to your case to make sure your claim is not denied based on flimsy reasons.
- We will file your workers’ compensation claim within the right period to avoid rejection because the statute of limitations has expired.
- We can negotiate with your employer’s insurance company on your behalf. From the many years we have worked with other insurance companies we have noticed that they might try to give you a lower offer so they don’t have to pay out a lot of money. With our expert negotiation skills, we will always make sure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation owed to you.
- We have excellent communication skills. Therefore, we will work tirelessly to update you on your case as you rest and recuperate from the work injuries suffered.
- We have a legal team made up of litigators who are ready to represent you in court in the event that your case ends up on trial.
You should call us today at (786) 249-7999 and get the best legal representation for your workers’ compensation claim immediately. We are ready to help so let us work on your workers’ compensation claim in Clearwater, FL.